People With Time to Kill

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Working on the Weekend

I've always worked weekends and holidays.  Retail, Disney, Princess - it was always a given that I had a very limited social life throughout the years, but I always made it out when it mattered.  The nice thing about working an office job is that the weekends are free for you to live your life.  This is true for most people - just not me. 

I woke up to a text from my boss at 7:00 this morning which I think is a ridiculous time to wake up on a Saturday but c'est la vie - I knew this was a possibility when I was hired so I should really be thankful it's the first time it's happened in the two and a half months I've worked for her.  The downside is that it woke me up about 2 hours early for my speaking engagement.  This is a fancy way to say my alma mater, The Art Institute of Vancouver, paid me to come in an talk to perspective students at an open house event.  This is the second time I've worked an Open House since graduating, and I'm not going to lie - I love it! 

One of the things I discovered through working school events like this and New Student Orientation, is that nothing gets me more excited to start a new quarter at school than being with people that are new.  It's like shopping for school supplies (which I also love!) - the shiny packaging, crisp sheets of paper, brightly coloured pens and highlighters and empty binders always feel like the start of a clean slate or new adventure.  I know it's a silly way to think about it, but I never claimed to be a serious person. 

I love showing new people the things I've already learned.  Whether it's the best way to maximize the small amount of free printing you get, the names of the tech guys and other staff to know, or how to generally survive the program and come out with a potential job, sharing with them helped me see the school in new ways and gave them someone who could be a mentor.  Not to toot my own horn but TOOT!  My orientation students/mentees are all doing great in the program and I like to think I had a little bit to do with that.  It's the kind of thing I wish I had while I was there and still wish I have now as I try to find my footing in the industry.  However, holding contract positions with an Event Planning Company, The Finer Details (I heart this team!), and an Event Staffing Company, BBW International, I'm hopeful someone will take pity and show me the way =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.