People With Time to Kill

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Oh the places you will go...

With a jet-set family like mine, it would be easy to assume I've been to quite a few different destinations.  Sadly, the opposite is true - I'm the designated house sitter when everyone else is away.  The family came home from London today and I'm not going to lie, I was a little green with jealousy.  But it passed after I had dinner so maybe it was just hunger...

I feel sad that at 27, I can count the number of places I've visited on my fingers.  Though, one of those fingers represents most of the Florida coastline which is pretty cool.  I've never been to Europe, South America or Africa and the only places in Asia I've been is the homeland (The Philippines) and Hong Kong.  Even my travel throughout North America is quite limited.  Here is a map of the world to demonstrate just how little of it I've actually explored:
Note that the Blue areas are places I've been to and Red areas are places I've lived in.  I told you it was sad!  Now here is a list of places my family members have gone to without me: most of Europe, parts of the Middle East, Australia, Mexico, the Caribbean, Alberta, Quebec, and too many US states for me to even remember.

So, to rectify this situation, I've promised myself 1 big trip every year starting with 2013 - the year I turn 30.  The destination?  ITALY!  I haven't decided on a particular place yet because I want to see it all =) I know this seems like a lengthy wait, but you'd understand if you knew about some of the trips I want to take.  Besides, what's another couple of years when you've already waited this long.  In the time being, here are 5 trips I will take before 2013, in no particular order:

1. The Philippines - I know I've already been/lived there but it's for my cousin's wedding!  She met her husband (they eloped last month in Gibraltar last month) in Istanbul during her very own "Eat, Shop, Love" tour overseas this summer =) *shameless plug* go read all about it at her blog Ladyland Electric in the post "My top 10 of 2010"

2. Vegas - I've been trying to go to Vegas with my girl friends ever since we were legal.  It's been a fail so far but I have hope it'll get done this year

3. Orlando - It was home for a year and I didn't have a chance to make it back for a wedding of some dear friends so I owe them one.

4. Massachusetts - I've had a thing for Boston and the Cape Cod area for over a decade without really knowing why...I blame Joshua Jackson and Dawson's Creek

5. Montreal - According to quite a few of my friends (especially S.Dignos), Montreal is the place to be in Canada.  I was going to start a road trip from there to Vancouver last Spring but I was planning it with the same friends I've never been to Vegas with.  Apparently we just can't vacation together =(

There you have it - my travel plan for future.  Now it's your turn...comment with your fave places to visit and the top 3-5 things to do there!

3 comments:

  1. First- the liquor store...buy booze.
    Second- the bar...buy more booze.
    Third- the bathroom...to pee, cause of the booze.
    Fourth- back to the bar...to refill with booze.
    Fifth- home...to sleep off the booze.
    I know it may not seem that interesting or exciting to some but, what are you really going to do at these far off places that are that different?

    I'm just saying...your friend...me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Friend - that is how you explore the nightlife and compare cultural bar differences.

    The days are for exploring culture, food, history, architecture, etc.

    Is it so bad to want to do it all? Don't you want to see how it's done (and by it I mean anything) anywhere else in the world?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whenever you're ready to hit up Montreal let me know. I will hop on that plane, drive for a week with you, board a train, however you want to get to Montreal; I am ready when you are!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.