People With Time to Kill

Sunday, January 16, 2011

Drunken Globes

The Canucks were shut out in their second game in three so I needed a pick-me up.  Cue the drunk celebrities at the Golden Globes.  I have to say that of all the award shows throughout the year, the Golden Globes are my favourite.  The tables are full of movie and television stars with a handful of musicians focused on mixing, mingling, and drinking the night away.  I'm sure there's a lovely dinner served but no one ever seems to be eating.  With camera operators clogging the narrow aisles, no celebrity wants to run the risk of getting caught shovelling food into their mouth.  So they all sit there with bottles of champagne and, according to Paul Giamatti, boxes of Godiva chocolates, hoping they won't be the target of Ricky Gervais' next joke.

There's something about Ricky that inspires other celebrities to bring the funny.  Maybe they're trying to show they can give it just as well as Ricky makes them take it.  Sadly for them, it usually doesn't work out which just adds to the amusement value for me.  Most notably was the comment by one award winner about all the waiters having been deported along with Javier Bardem; calling ths offside is putting it lightly. 

There were a few surprise winners tonight as I didn't expect Glee to do as well as it did.  Up for five awards (Supporting Actor/Actress in a Comedy/Musical - Chris Colfer & Jane Lynch, Actor/Actress in a Comedy/Musical - Matthew Morrison & Lea Michele, and Best Television Show - Comedy/Musical), Glee stole Best Show and both supporting role titles.  No offence to Mr. Shue and Rachel Berry but they're pretty annoying these days so I'd take Sue and Kurt over them any day.  Loved Chris' acceptance speech in which he told those that are considered to be outsiders or different to say screw you to anyone that doubts them.

Another surprise for me was The Social Network winning Best Motion Picture - Drama.  I figured it'd be the last of the nominees to win this category but I suppose it just goes to show the depth of influence social media plays in this day and age.  Three more highlights before I call it a night - 1) Claire Danes' emotional acceptance speech for her portrayal of autistic genius Temple Grandin.  2) True Grit's Hailee Steinfeld (14)presenting the award for Best Animated Film with Justin Beiber (16) to Toy Story 3 Director, Lee Unkrich who turned and asked if they were even born when the first Toy Story Movie came out 15 years ago.  3) Colin Firth's reference to the trifecta of man love between himself, Geoffrey Rush and Richard Dixon (I think??) that developed throughout the filming of The King's Speech.

On to the next awards!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.