People With Time to Kill

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Snow, Cookies, Jennifer Lopez & the Truth

Thank you to Shawn and my anonymous "friend...me???" for the tips on my post "Empty."  Sadly the office was bustling today which meant all work and no play.  I don't think I'll try taping my face (since no one would see it if I was alone) or switching the A and E keys on the keyboards since they're all fancy Mac keyboards that I'd be too scared to break.  Womanizer, while a worthy suggestion just seems a little much for our humble office...besides, I'm more of a BSB/Nsync fan when it comes to dance moves =)

It was actually the perfect day to head out on a long walk - half a dozen blocks South to the post office, another four or five blocks West to the bank, then back to the office for more sitting in front of my computer trying to make crazy schedules make sense.  There are two things to note before I return to the office.  One, we were supposed to get snow in Vancouver today.  Everyone was so worried that the streets and sidewalks were salted in preparation (see my image of the day on the left).  I'm all for safety and preparedness, but this was a bit ridiculous especially since there wasn't a flake to be seen in Vancouver (can't say the same for some of the other municipalities aka Burnaby and Surrey).

Ginger Molasses +
Peppermint White Mocha
= Bliss

My second observation is that I've noticed a resurgence of Ginger Molasses Cookies (GMCs) at Starbucks!  Easily the best cookie in the Starbucks collection, it's been surprisingly difficult to find in the stores I frequent over the past couple of years.  This of course meant that every time I saw one I just had to buy it.  Clearly this was a ploy developed by Starbucks to train my subconscious to look for and buy GMCs.  Once trained, they re-introduce GMCs in more stores, rendering me helpless as I try to resist their chewy goodness.  Thankfully, the Starbucks across the street from work is still GMC free...for now.


This is what I wanted to
be - headset and all! (The
Wedding Planner, 2001)

I realize that today's blog is pretty lame.  You can go ahead and admit it and I promise I won't be offended.  I thought of a bunch of topics during my walk today but they all seemed to abandon me as soon as I sat down to write.  One thing I do want to address (as if this post wasn't random enough for you) is the myth that we Event Coordinators/Planners lead exciting lives (see the start of The Wedding Planner, staring Jennifer Lopez).  The reality is that most coordinators and planners are so busy planning excitement for their clients that they don't really have much time to bring that fun into their own lives.  We are a group of workaholic, Type A personalities that suffer from shades of obsessive compulsive disorder.  The downside to being a fledgling planner is that I don't have very many connections in the industry yet so quite a few of my nights are spent relaxing at home with friends and family. 

You are reading the blog of a boring, work-junkie, homebody - now might be a good time to jump ship but I hope you won't.  Sometimes, the truth hurts but it always comes out in the end, and it always hurts more when you try to hide it.  So I'll take the lead in making fun of this post in the hope that you'll find my honesty endearing and believe me when I say you made it this far, nothing but good times ahead (hopefully!) =)

3 comments:

  1. In regards to the part of your post concerning the cookies at Starbucks...I feel the same way about the Kits Cookie! It was always at Starbucks and then, one day...boom...it was gone! I found some in North Van one day and bought three!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GMC. is that a term you developed yourself? in Starbucks lingo it's referred to as GMO: prounounced gee-mo.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes...GMC is just something I made up since I'm not really up to date on my Starbucks lingo which is surprising when you consider how often I'm in one...

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.