People With Time to Kill

Thursday, January 6, 2011

One

Is it really the loneliest number that you'll ever do?  Harry Nilsson wrote these words ("One is the loneliest number that you'll ever do" for those unfamiliar with the song) in 1967 while sitting listening to the busy signal on the phone one day and I have to wonder, why is it a number that you would "do?"  To me it makes more sense to say that "one is the loneliest number that you've ever SEEN."  But who am I to argue with the words of a song that has been covered by a number of bands, most notably Three Dog Night (famous for their songs "Joy to the World" aka Jeremiah was a bullfrog! and "Try a Little Tenderness")  in 1969.

Now that I'm thinking about how lonely 1 is, the song Mr. Lonely by Bobby Vinton (Released by Epic in 1962) pops into my head.  It's one of those annoying songs that latches onto your brain for days.  Everyone has THAT song - for my sister, it's Remy Shand's 2002 hit "Take a Message."  For fun, we used to call her phone then leave the chorus on her voicemail.  To this day, just mentioning that you have an annoying song stuck in your head causes her to think about Remy Shand and brings a smile to my face.

Any nominees from the readers?  What's the worst song to get stuck in your head?  I don't have one in particular but maybe one of yours will do the trick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.