People With Time to Kill

Monday, January 3, 2011

Empty

Though the title of today's blog may seem like we'll be exploring something deep and meaningful, I can assure you that the opposite is true.  It's more about working alone vs. with others in the office.  I've had to work a few quiet days in the office over the past month but never with both floors completely empty.  As our downstairs tenants are all off until tomorrow (I'm assuming) and my office mates were working from home today, I was all alone.

Any time I have an empty space all to myself, I think of thinks I could do (think Risky Business & Home Alone - blasting music & dancing, running around yelling, etc.).  None of these ideas actually happen (except for the music & dancing when I'm home alone) but it's fun to imagine for a few minutes at least.  At work, the worst I can pull of is playing music softly in the background (which gets shut off the moment the phone rings) and maybe kicking my shoes off under the desk.

There's a bit of guilt involved since I am being paid to be productive, but there's also the fact that I usually have a pile of stuff waiting for me once I sit down for the day.  On a day like today, after the office has been closed for the past week, there's the 50+ emails to sort through, filing, phone calls, and other fun stuff (i.e. changing all the burnt out light bulbs) to get through.  And while it seems like simple tedious stuff, the reality is they are each time consuming and will be continued when I return tomorrow morning.

However, I did find that I got through much more than I thought I would today without the distractions that office companions create.  Whether it is loud phone calls or intercom requests, I find it extremely easy to pause and gauge where everyone else is in their work day.  Plus, when both my office companions are at work (Jen is our Communications Manager and Amy is our Managing Director), I find there's a bit of nervous energy.  I am still on probation after all so it's easy to imagine all of my moves are being monitored and scrutinized.  It might be my imagination but it's almost like everyone's waiting for me to screw up, which thankfully hasn't happened yet.  Yes, everyone is being helpful and supporting, but they traditionally haven't had the best of luck with assistants in the past so I don't really blame them for thinking this is going too well to be true.

That aside, the only downside to being alone at work is the fact I CAN'T leave.  This normally wouldn't be a problem except I didn't bring lunch today, assuming I would be able to take a sunny afternoon stroll down the street for a sandwich at Terra Breads (W5th & Manitoba - so yummy!).  This plan was obviously foiled when I got the email that Jen is still sick and working from home.  Thankfully, the family was not too far away having dim sum at Sun Sui Wah (Main & 23rd St - everyone that works here knows my family because we're here so much!) and agreed to drop off a bag of goodies on their way home.

I'm almost hoping that no one shows up for work tomorrow as I'm sure to get through absolutely everything on my list is I was alone but this is wishful thinking.  On the off chance that it does happen, I'd like to ask my dear readers (all 3 of you) to suggest what daring activities you would do (on your designated lunch break) in an empty office.  I'll let you know tomorrow if I actually used any of your suggestions!  Until then...

4 comments:

  1. Me first? OK how about playing Britney Spears - "Womanizer" at the office and learn those offcie dance move? Don't forget bring a glasses and black/white suit. That will be really funny haha.

    I'm so helpful even find the youtube link for you hahaha http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTrtt2ajDb8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela. I am surprised by you. I created you to express yourself it all sorts of strange ways. Next time try taping up your face with scotch tape or possibly being a little bit evil and change the "A" and "E" button on someones keyboard.

    Think about staying different... Your friend ...me???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ina, I go to that Terra Bread all the time for lunch when I am working in the office of one of my clients on that side of town! We should meet up...I like Fridays when its Carrot Ginger Soup day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds good Nic! We should set something up =)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.