People With Time to Kill

Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Honestly

Honesty and the truth are hot topics these days and listening to people try to figure their problems out makes me wonder, why is it so hard to get to the truth? Then I remembered I've already written about this once before and things haven't really changed in the almost two years since I wrote the original piece. This is a happy coincidence since my laptop is acting up and refuses to connect to the Internet! Here is "Subject to Interpretation:"

I sometimes wonder if the truth is really a foreign concept that we've failed to interpret properly.  Truth changes with time, as quickly as sunlight cuts through shadows.  But everyone has their own truths, so when is something really the truth or simply masquerading lies?

We lie to keep people close or to push them away.  We lie to protect, to deceive, to hide, but in reality, we lie to save ourselves.  We try to prevent others from discovering our truths because we aren't quite sure who would be able to stick it out.  Skeletons in the closet aren't always easy to forget or forgive so most people don't really get around to revealing them until they have to.

We thrive on broken dreams, letting the lies bleed into the fabric of our days, until they become part of our truth.  Some live their lives trusting that truth is beauty and lies carry dark bitter evils better left un-named.  But this belief itself is a lie to most others. What hurts more, a lie that makes you smile or a truth that brings you to tears?

I don’t profess to always speak the truth, in fact I’m a little too good at dealing with lies.  But that’s my truth whether you believe it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.