People With Time to Kill

Sunday, February 13, 2011

The Heart of the Matter

The heart to heart conversation has become a weekend staple since the start of the year.  I've had my fair share of them but never at the frequency I've been experiencing lately.  I think it's a mark of a new group of friends coming together and figuring each other out.  While drunk heart to hearts are the most typical, sober ones have been on the rise.

I play the "I'm way older than you guys" card all the time with my friends because while it is true, it's also an invitation of sorts.  I look back on where I was at that age and remember all the different ways I messed up.  So when I see them facing the same challenges and struggles, I find old versions of myself in them and am amazed to be able to watch their change in motion.  It's one of the reasons I hold on to people I should be letting go of. 

Life is about the connections you make and the people you carry with you.  A year ago I never would have imagined my life would look like this today but I honestly don't know where I'd be without these amazing people around me.  From random coffees on rainy days, to day-after debriefs over mimosas, to teary hotel confessions, these "kids" are hopefully getting as much in return as they're giving me because you can't put a price on second chances to make things right.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.