People With Time to Kill

Saturday, February 12, 2011

Hi, I'm Awkward!

Before I explain the title, I need to say HI to Denise, our newest follower (and my awesome cousin living in Melbourne)!

I'm sure most of you have had to suffer through awkward moments before; running into acquaintances that you've been dodging on Facebook, seeing an ex with their new you while you're in sweats holding a bag of chocolates, going to a party and being the only single person there - whatever the case it's always painfully awkward.

How can we avoid it?  Sadly there is no way to predict when our awful friend awkward will show its face.  How can we get out of it?  There are a few schools of thought that may or may not work...

1) Make a joke - This could backfire depending on the person.  They will either think it's funny and breaks the ice, or they will be offended and make the moment even MORE awkward!

2) Friend Rescue - If you're out with your friends, this is the best way to do it.  Most friends will realize what's going on and rescue you.  This also applies when one of them has impeccable timing and calls/texts you at the perfect moment.  Make your excuse and run!

3) There's an app for that! - It's called Save Me and is generally used at bars to get away from whom ever is trying to hit on you.  Basically, choose your delay time (5, 15, or 30 seconds) and it fakes a call from your office.  We're talking the call actually comes up on your phone and when you answer, it looks like the call-in-progress page (if you have an iPhone).  Haven't tried it in public yet but it looks pretty sweet.

So with that in mind, I'm off to get ready for another night out with the girls.  Hopefully I won't run into Awkward tonight but if I do, at least I'll be prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.