People With Time to Kill

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

The Secret Language of Friends

One of the things I miss the most about my scattered friends is that they can understand what I'm saying even when I don't really make sense.  It's the result of countless hours spent talking between class, late into sleepovers, and killing our phone batteries.  They can tell when I'm fading out, I'm close to tears, or bursting with news. 

It's those little things that really mark the depth of a friendship.  When you know people almost as well as yourself, many things become second nature and you take on characteristics of each other.  My use of the words 'dude,' 'rattled,' 'broads,' and 'epic' have all been adopted from friends, as well as one of the best phrases ever invented, "I'm your best friend, you can't get mad!" (Thanks Char! =p)

Another great feature of your own language?  The inside jokes!  Words like 'grenade,' 'steamroller,' 'gookey,' and 'bird' don't really mean much to anyone else but if I said these to the right people, they could end up crying from laughter.

These are the things that make me smile, and sometimes laugh, in the middle of even the most hectic days because I know that no matter what I'm doing, they're always with me wherever I go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.