People With Time to Kill

Monday, February 14, 2011

You Can't Always Get What You Want

To the Team,
From Burrows
It's the day before all the chocolates go on sale again.  After cruising through Facebook and Twitter periodically today it seems the bitter singles and the annoying couples are at war while the rest of us who don't really care are stuck wading through it all.  Even the guys at my favourite Canucks Hockey Blog, Pass It To Builis got into the spirit with their post "Conversation Hearts, for the NHLer Who Simply Can't Find the Words."  It's hilariousness for any Canuck fan that should not be missed!

All joking aside, a day like today makes me think of love stories in literature, television, and movies.  Funnily enough, it also makes me think of drunken confessions and accidental hook-ups.  How many times has a hero pulled a stupid stunt that drives the girl away?  How many times has a heroine used her best guy friend (who is obviously into her) to attract her supposed true love?  If I had a dollar for every time the love-struck sidekick gets overlooked for a fratboy/sorority girl stereotype, I'd be pretty well off.  We see these stories so often that I have to wonder, why is it we always want what we can't/shouldn't have?

Best quote to sum this up? Robert J Ringer says it best, "There's a basic human weakness inherent in all people which tempts them to want what they can't have and not want what is readily available to them." After doing some Wikipedia research on Mr. Ringer, I'm sure that love isn't what he had in mind when he wrote those words but we can't deny that it applies to more than just business.  As much as I agree with his statement, I do have to highlight one key thing missing: he never says that you ever have to go after that thing you think you want.  Just because the grass looks greener on the other side doesn't mean it's what we want or need in the end.  Sometimes, taking a look at what you don't have makes you appreciate what you do have even more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.