People With Time to Kill

Saturday, February 19, 2011

Legacy

Today I witnessed a community celebrate the life of Megan McNeil.  Megan was diagnosed with a rare and aggressive cancer, Adrenocortical Carinoma in 2006.  She managed to beat the disease three times before finally succumbing on January 28th.  In the past four and a half years, Megan not only fought for her life, but for the lives of countless children battling against various forms of cancer.  She wrote a beautiful song, "The Will to Survive" which is available on Amazon and iTunes, with proceeds going to support child cancer research and BC families affected by childhood cancer.  In 2010, Megan's story was named one of the best stories of the year by Canada AM and the most inspiring of the year by CBC's Connect with Mark Kelley.

I didn't really know Megan.  We met briefly at the Inside Ride last fall to kick of the Sears National Kids Cancer Ride and exchanged our thanks; I thanked her for supporting the event and she thanked me for helping organize it.  That passing moment after hearing her speak openly about her continuing fight against cancer was enough for me to see just how special Megan is.  I can't even begin to imagine the strength needed to beat cancer once, let alone three times in a span of four years is astonishing.  As Megan sings, to find that will to go on and fight and survive is truly inspiring.

From an outsider's perspective at the ceremony, it was amazing to see just a fraction of the people she touched in such a short time.  It was very touching to hear the stories and to help the people that loved Megan celebrate her life and achievements.  I learned that Megan lived a short but full life, surrounded by family and friends, doing everything she could to support the causes she believe in.  It's people like Megan that inspire us all to go out and do something to change the world to help their legacies live on.

It's for kids like Megan that I choose to work with non-profit and charity foundations through volunteering, fundraising, and hopefully throughout my career.  Seeing what Megan accomplished in her life makes you realize what kind of an impact you can have on this world.  It makes me wish I had realized it sooner as I think of the different opportunities that I let pass me by because I was too concerned with my own issues and drama.  I'm sad to admit that many of the people who have inspired me are gone and that with passing I become more committed to the path I'm on.

On a day like today I can't help but think of the legacy that I will eventually leave behind.  I talk about moving forward and planning for the future but I never really think about the end of it all - as far as I know, NO ONE does.  You never think about how the next moment could be your last.  When I'm gone, I want to leave behind something that means something to the people in my life.  Whether it's raising a family or starting my own foundation, I couldn't really say what I'll do, I just want it to make a difference.  I want to inspire people to do something great with their lives the way Megan has inspired me.

Megan may be gone by her legacy will continue to live on through her music and her family and hopefully one day I'll be able to say the same.  Thank you Megan for being such a huge inspiration and changing so many live by simply living yours the best way you knew how.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.