People With Time to Kill

Friday, September 2, 2011

The Slippery Slope of Sickness

There is a saying that Vancouverites are quite familiar with; 'when it rains, it pours.'  Now usually this is a saying that people don't use to reference the weather, but an avalanche of good or bad occurrences that happen one after another.  It would be like getting your dream job, finding your soul mate and winning the lottery all in the same week.

While I've never had a week as good as the one I've just described, I've had some pretty good runs of luck over the years.  Coincidentally, I've had just as many bad streaks to even things out.  By now, my regular readers are well aware I've fallen victim to yet another case of the flu.  After relying heavily on cough syrup and orange juice for the past week, I finally went to go see my doctor with the hope she would just tell me to keep doing what I was doing since it was just the flu.

On the contrary, she took one look at the back of my throat and decided we need to test for strep throat.  I suppose I shouldn't be surprised at this point since it's become increasingly difficult to swallow and rest has been hard to come by since the hacking cough usually rears it's evil head when I'm in bed.  then she casually tosses out the possibility that even if it's not strep, it could still be some kind of infection.  Peachy news for someone about to start a full time position and is looking at her only extended break between now and sometime after the start of 2012.  Throw the fact that I'll be needing a new computer (and possibly a new phone) in the next month and that my car often sounds like it might die/explode on top of the pile and you'll see that even though the weather is beautiful in Vancouver right now, it's pouring where I'm standing.

But we're trying to look at the bright side of things right now so I guess I can say everything will probably only get better from here.  Fingers crossed that this prediction is right for once since I don't want to imagine how things can get any worse at this point!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.