People With Time to Kill

Monday, February 21, 2011

Slow & Steady

When you have a job that you love to do, work isn't just work, it's fun.  Today, I went to work, then after I was done, I went and had some fun.  Don't get me wrong - I LIKE my job and the people I work with and for, but I LOVE events and The Finer Details team.  Having worked with them over the past 15 months, I've had a chance to learn quite a bit from everyone and really feel like part of the team even though it's only been official for two months. 

Tonight was our monthly staff meeting which is always entertaining to say the least.  The first hour is spent going over upcoming events and getting feedback on various topics (i.e. ways to strike an event more efficiently).  The last two hours feature a guest speaker talking about a specific topic.  Last month we met Megan Halkett of Patio Social, who spoke about Social Media and how we can make it work for us.  If you recall, it sparked my Social Scene series, which is still in the process of being finished =s Tonight's topic?  Personality Styles - Characteristics and how to identify/work with them.

Led by a great BNI contact of Deborah's, Darren (I have no idea what his last name is but once I find out I'll let you know), we took a quick personality test to see what behavioural style we fall under; Directing, Influencing, Steady, or Cautious.  It was actually a little surprising that out of eight of us, only one was Directing dominant.  Unsurprisingly, it was Deborah that fell under Directing which is excellent because we definitely need a strong hand to keep the rest of us in line =)

The rest of us were split 5/3 between Influencing and Steady, myself falling in the latter category.  You've all heard enough about my personality (here and here just in case you forgot and were curious) lately so I won't dive into all the details, but I will highlight the main thing the rest of the group heartily agreed with - Can't Say No!  Apparently it's obvious that I have a problem saying this little word and tend to take on too much.  Darren even used one of my favourite trigger words, guilt, when talking about why Steady people take on as much as they do. 

Anyone interested in learning more about DISC personalities and interacting with the various behavioural styles can take the quiz (don't blame me if this is no good - I just Googled disc personality test free and this was the first one that popped up!) and if you're really keen, check out the book "Who Do You Think You Are Anyway?"  It's currently on my wish list but can be difficult to find.  If I do get my hands on one, I'm not letting it go as I have a feeling it'll come in handy in the years to come =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.