People With Time to Kill

Monday, January 17, 2011

The Social Scene

I had a great opportunity to meet Megan Halkett of Patio Social at The Finer Details staff meeting tonight.  First - super excited to be a part of TFD team this year!  I've had so many great experiences volunteering with them over the past year, it's nice to be able to contribute at a higher level.  Second - Megan had so many great insights to really take advantage of the various social media platforms. 

Typical perceptions are that blogs are for the opinionated, Facebook is for connecting with your friends, LinkedIn is for connecting for work, MySpace is for musicians, and Twitter is kind of ridiculous.  What Megan tried to teach us tonight is how to use these tools to grow business, tap into a plethora of information from and about our industry, and how to navigate the Twitterverse. 

It's amazing to think of how many people you can reach by simply publishing a tweet or posting a link on Facebook.  I'd share more but I'm running out of time.  What I can do is tell you to click on the Patio Social link above and to follow Patio Social on Twitter @patiosocial to learn more!

2 comments:

  1. Good job! I just tweet your blog hope you don't mind haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Shawn...you are easily satisfied if you thought this was a good one to re-post =p I'll do a follow up post today that actually explains some of the things Megan taught us =)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.