People With Time to Kill

Thursday, February 3, 2011

Bling & Potatoes

Patio View
I had a chance to attend the opening of the Jewel Ballroom tonight.  Located on the 4th floor of the Vancouver Masonic Centre, the ballroom has some great views of the West Coast Mountains and the downtown Vancouver skyline. 


Neon Tulips

I'm not going to lie - with a name like Jewel, I was expecting something a little more showy.  There wasn't much decor as I'm sure they wanted to showcase the room's potential, but what I really loved was the tenting set up on the patio.  It's a nice touch along with LED lighting and space heaters and a great way to utilize the space even in bad weather.  I love the choice of flowers (tulips just happen to be one of my faves) and thought that the colours chosen played really well with the lighting.  It's little details like that which tell me they're willing to do what it takes to make an event a success.



Pick your fave potato toppings!
My highlight of the night wasn't the band (Ten Souljers!) or running into friends and former instructors - it was the food.  More specifically, the mashed potato bar.  Oh yeah...you read that right.  Collect a scoop of your choice in potato (Yukon gold, red, or sweet) and pick your toppings (peas, sauteed mushrooms, sauteed onions, roast garlic, cheese, corn, chives, sour cream, and gravy).  It was a great idea and definitely had people talking.  Aside from the potato bar, there were long lines for what looked like a pulled pork/soft taco wrap type of station (if you understood that I applaud you!) and a sweet or savoury puff station that was always out of food.  The dessert table featured mini pots of creme brulee, shots of chocolate mousse, spoonfuls of panna cotta, cake lollipops and milk and cookies!  The most difficult part of having this much food is handling all the little dishes they come in!

All in all, a good night and a decent venue.  I can see it looking absolutely stunning during the wedding season with the late sunsets leading happy couples into great nights of celebration.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.