People With Time to Kill

Saturday, January 22, 2011

Breaking In

I had a great brunch today with some of the girls from the Art Institute at Locus (Main St. at King Edward).  Over omelettes, Locus Hash, and mimosas, we got talking about how difficult it's been to gain footing in the industry since graduation.  While some of us are finally making headway, there are still quite a few people chasing down leads and fighting for interviews. 

I found that I left the Event Management Program with pretty high expectations of myself - too high.  With the high standards in every class, I think it's safe to say that most of us were expecting to step right into an event coordinator or assistant role.  Over the course of the year, we developed so many great ideas into actual event proposals and presentations that we all felt we could make significant contributions to the industry right out of the gate.  Unfortunately, most of us (myself included) lacked the experience everyone was looking in candidates for the jobs we actually wanted.

Personally, I've really lucked out.  I have a steady job that is challenging enough without causing any real stress.  This means I have time to do contract work with the great team at The Finer Details and with BBW International to keep my industry connections alive.  In an industry as small as the event one is in Vancouver, it really is about who you know and how much you put yourself out there.  Which is why I want to take the time to recognize two amazing up & coming event planners who happen to be part of my graduating class =)

Taryn Beauvais
Specialty: Weddings, F&B, Catering, Special Events
Currently: Working an admin position with Calhoun's Catering

Why Taryn?  I had the pleasure of sitting beside Taryn for over a year and working on at least four major projects with her so I know firsthand how hard she works.  She is extremely meticulous and examines all event elements from multiple angles to maximize their use and/or presentation value.  She has a great eye for design and decor details and is passionate about making each event a unique reflection of the client.
Follow: Taryn has two blogs on the go; Taryn in the City and Taryn's Event & Wedding Services.  Both are great resources for spots in Vancouver and the latest in the wedding world. [ps...thanks for the follow!]

Diana Newson
Specialty: Anything from concerts to adventures to destination events and weddings
Currently: Co-Founder of Original Newson Events

Why Diana?  Diana has a vivacious personality paired with a great flair for design and a take charge attitude.  She has a knack for reading people and figuring out how to bring a team together.  This came in handy when Diana was elected as a co-Project Manager to lead our class of 16 through our final project; planning and coordinating the first ever Inside Ride in Vancouver for the BC Children's Hospital Foundation. Any event by Diana and ONE is sure to be an amazing one!
Follow: Check out the ONE website and Facebook page for more info.

To sum it up - I would trust either of these ladies to take care of my wedding which is saying a lot when you consider just how much of a control freak I am.  Good luck ladies!

2 comments:

  1. Love love LOVE this post. And LOVE these two ladies. Well the three of you actually! A proud momma moment errupted out of me when I read this. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you too! I think I'm going to feature at least 2 Event Planning Stars from our class every week until everyone is on here =)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.