People With Time to Kill

Sunday, January 23, 2011

The Lost and the Needy

"When life hands you lemons, find someone who was handed a bottle of vodka and invite you friends over for a party!"  I think I read this in a Jen Mac blog posting but am too lazy to find it so will gladly hand the credit to her anyways because she is a fantastic writer and it really does seem like something she would say =) I know the title of today's post seems like some horrible daytime television show but that's what many people are like most of the time (hopefully not at the same time though). 

Sometimes life can be a bit of a pain in the rear end.  One minute you're happily travelling down your designated path and the next minute all the rules are changed and it feel like you're dropped into someone else's life.  It happens to everyone but is still unique to each person because of the decisions we make.  There is no right or wrong answer, just the answer that works best for you.

I'm feeling a bit philosophical today because I have a dear friend who is facing a conundrum  They have to make a choice that could potentially change the futures of multiple other people.  When faced with situations such as these, I find there is a wealth of things that can be said; from "follow your heart, to "write a list of pros and cons," but do any of these actually make a difference?  Event placing yourself in their shoes is useless because you are not the same person and cannot think about these things in the same way.

So with that in mind, what's a friend to do?  I suppose all I can do is be there to listen and support the decision no matter what it is.  As much as my heart hurts for them, I'm so honoured that I've been trusted with sharing their burden.  I've been told a few times before that I am a person that needs to feel needed. I won't dispute it because I know it's mostly true.  I want to be the confidant trusted with the deepest, darkest, secrets.  I want to be the constant that stays through the most difficult moments.  I want to be the friend that takes care of everyone else no matter what.  All I ask is that they return the favour when I need a bit of help myself.

Personally, I see very little wrong with that.

3 comments:

  1. Blog shout-out to me?! Thanks, love!

    Somewhat related to your post in regards to being there emotionally for your friends, I have one good friend who is really open (in a good way!) about her feelings - both good and bad. I find this also makes her the person in my group of friends that others feel comfortable talking to. A sharing thing, I suppose, and also a give and take.

    Just based on what you wrote, have you ever done a Myers-Briggs personality test? You can do a quick one online for free. While they aren't 100% accurate, I find they give an amusing and insightful snapshot of a person.

    Glad you're still keeping up your New Years Resolution!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well written and thought out. A friend is a person who is there through and thick and thin standing there until the end (that's why there's END at the end of friend). Sometimes an open ear is better then anything else in the world.

    As for your dear friend, my dad has a wonderful cliched message that goes "You come first and make yourself happy but try not to intentionally hurt too many people along the way for it will happen to you one day."

    Off subject...how do i view your previous work? I have a lot of catching up to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen - thanks for telling me about the personality quiz...it is eerily accurate in my case! http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp for anyone else that wants to try!

    Justin - You can look at the week-by-week posts on the sidebar (labled Other Days) or just click on older posts at the bottom of the homepage =)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.