People With Time to Kill

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

The Unexpected Hero

I saw Rango on Sunday and was surprised once again.  I'm not sure if I just haven't been paying close enough attention or if the studios have been crafty about cutting the trailers together.  I assumed that this would be a fluff film about a lost lizard that finds his place in the world, but as with The Adjustment Bureau, I got more than I expected. 

 Beyond the humour brought to life by an all-star cast (led by Johnny Depp as Rango the aspiring lizard actor and Isla Fisher as Beans the rancher just trying to survive) is a story about discovery and belief.  Rango arrives in the town of Dirt after a near accident on a busy highway shatters his current situation - literally!  After his tank explodes on the road after being thrown from a moving car, Rango crosses the desert in search of water and civilization.  What he finds is a town in ruins and a Sheriff badge to live up to. 

One of my favourite quotes lines from the movie comes from the mysterious Spirit of the West who tells Rango, "you can't walk out on your own story" (or something along those lines) which is one of the underlying themes of Rango's journey.  We may feel like life is a stage, but the best character to play is simply yourself, not who others think you should be.  Clearly this movie doesn't raise the same deep questions that I took away from The Adjustment Bureau, but it still made me think, which is more than I can say about some of the other films out today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to comment but please keep the comments PG and constructive. Anything that I find to be inappropriate or offensive WILL be deleted. I don't want to limit you, but I have to look out for anyone else that might be reading these.